Thursday, September 12, 2013

First Day at School in Lod

I'M A TEACHER NOW!
OK, no, not really, but you get the idea.  I haven't begun to teach English every day, as I will in a few weeks' time.  But today, Monday, September 9th, 2013, I had my first time in any remotely official capacity as part of a regular teaching program.
But here I am, getting well ahead of myself.  The last event I described was Havdallah following Shabbat (Saturday night).  Sunday morning, the 12 ITF Ramla participants loaded onto a minibus bound for Achvah University.  I, unfortunately, was the last one to arrive, an error I have been trying to avoid committing.  Oh, well.

At Achvah, we met... the rest of the 154 Israel Teaching Fellows for the 2013-2014 school year!  Yes, that's a lot of people, spread all over the State of Israel!  To be honest, it wasn't such a stimulating meeting, but it was mandatory.  On to the interesting part.



                On Monday morning, I got up at 7:00 am, and caught the bus outside my apartment at around 8:50 am.  Bus route 13 travels from Ramla to the neighboring city of Lod in about 15 minutes' time.  The bus interior was almost identical to that of a TCAT Bus, but lacked the rows of advertisements that I'm so used to seeing in the buses in my hometown.  I kept close watch on the digital screen displaying in Hebrew the names of the upcoming stops.  I stopped off at Henrietta Szold Street, and from there, needed to find my way to the school, which was rather difficult.  I needed to ask, in Hebrew, two passers-by for directions, and, once I had located the building, needed to explain to the security guard, again in Hebrew, who I was and whom I was meeting.  Once past the gate, I walked through the schoolyard, empty at the moment, and asked a man sitting outside of the school building, whom I later learned was Yitzchak, the school custodian, where I could find Moshe.  Miraculously, I understood enough to find Moshe, the English teacher (a thirty-some-year-old Israeli man), and he was surprised to see me, having expected me to come with Carmel, the director of Oranim in Ramla.  He began to show me around, introducing me to the principal and to some of the other teachers, when he received a telephone call from Carmel, who told him that TZ (the other ITF volunteer at the Rambam school in Lod) had missed the bus.  Moshe and I didn't want to begin the tour of the school without TZ, but, thinking that she would need help finding her way from the bus stop to the Rambam school, Moshe sent me with two students, a boy and a girl (both around eleven) to the bus stop to wait for the next Bus 13.  Both were quite precocious, especially the girl, who was also very talkative.  Her English, in fact, was probably about as good as my French.  She and the boy talked to me all about themselves, their school, and their lives in Ramla, while we waited for TZ's bus to arrive.  When the next Bus 13 finally did arrive – TZ wasn't there!  She called Moshe, and it turned out that she had been severely misdirected, and was lost in Lod.  Moshe went to find her, while the students introduced me to some of their friends, in the schoolyard, some of whom were too shy to speak English with me (or even to look at me), while others were very excited to meet an American who spoke English.  Several students hailed me with very colloquial greetings, but then quickly became too embarrassed to say anything more once I had greeted them back, and focused my attention on them.  I always made certain to speak slowly and clearly, to make eye contact, and to smile encouragingly.

                TZ finally arrived, with Moshe, much to my relief.  The first thing that Moshe did was to make certain that both TZ and I could find our ways to and from the bus stop on Henrietta Szold.  Next, he assigned the same two students to guide us around the school, although we acquired a few other enthusiastic guides on our tour of Rambam's facilities.  The physical school building was quite modest, much smaller than even my elementary school, although it had a separate gymnasium, as well as a separate synagogue building, where the students pray daily at 8:00 am.  As I toured around the school, I was more popular than I have ever before been in my life; students asked me all sorts of questions: Was I from America?  Did I really speak English?  Was TZ my sister?  Was I Jewish?  Would I be in school every day?  I answered these as best as I could.  Based on what several of the instructors had told me, I guessed that it was better to feign worse Hebrew skills than I really had, to encourage students to speak.  If they knew that they couldn't "cheat" on me by saying what they wanted to say in Hebrew, and assuming that I'd understand.  Most of the teachers and the rest of the staff were too shy to communicate with us in English, if at all, something that we had been warned against.  Teachers who don't ordinarily speak English will be hesitant to risk embarrassing themselves in front of their students who speak better English than they do.  When it comes down to it, if you asked many of your Middle or High School teachers who taught subjects other than math or one of the sciences to calculate the area of a circle or the volume of a cylinder, how many of them would willingly risk showing that they probably don't know some of the material that their schools expect their students to know?  Regardless, we only met one other teacher, Chani, who also teaches English, whose pronunciation is very good.  In Israel, students address their teachers as Moreh (for a man) or Morah (for a woman) X, X being the teacher's first name. 

                I should take a moment here to describe the student composition.  First of all, these students are adorable; there is a higher Cuteness Factor in this school than in any I've visited in the U.S. or in Europe.  The girls wear skirts and shirts that fully cover their shoulders; the boys wear kippot.  All of their t-shirts have the name of the school printed on the breast.  If an American teacher walked into this school, they'd give it an A+ for diversity.  I'd say that around half of the children are Ethiopian Jews, and more than a third look as if they have Middle Eastern background, and are probably Mizrachi Jews.  Only around one-eighth look as if they have European ancestry (note: as far as I know, all of them, in terms of tradition, are Sepharadi, regardless of skin color, again in defiance of the stereotype that all Sepharadim are dark-skinned).  However, in reality, this is arguably more homogeneous in composition than any public school in the United States: every single student is Jewish.  In Israel, the social divides simply don't run across color-lines the way they do in the United States.  An Israeli Ethiopian Jew, though he shares more in common with other Ethiopian Jews than he does with, say, Israeli Syrian Jews (for example, the Israeli Ethiopian Jewish community observes a special holiday in the Jewish calendar), he will have far more in common with an Israeli Syrian Jew than he will with an Israeli Sudanese Muslim, despite sharing skin tone.  The students at Rambam do not associate significantly more with students of the same skin tune than they do with any of the others.  Also, though this is a religious school, it is not Charedi, and boys and girls learn the same subjects together in the same classrooms.

                After the tour of the school, TZ and I observed Moshe's 7th-grade English class.  We introduced ourselves, loudly and clearly, and then began to help groups of four or five students with their work.  Some of the students in my group were struggling very hard.  It is constantly surprising to me to see Israelis struggle with the English language, because all of the Israelis with whom I am friends speak excellent or even beautiful English.  Even though these students were in the same class as the semi-fluent girl I met at the beginning of the day, some of them were scarcely capable of sounding out English-Hebrew cognates written in English.  However, most of them were trying at least moderately hard to understand the lesson.  After this first class observation, we did the same for an eighth-grade class, with somewhat different results.  I was with an incredibly hard-working group of two very talented girls, a very talented boy, and a somewhat less talented boy who nevertheless worked very hard, and clearly liked me.  All around us, though, chaos reigned; any student not working in a small group with TZ or me, or on whom Moshe was focusing his attention, was cutting up.  Don't get me wrong, these are sweet, friendly, social kids; however, they cannot sit still.  Many of the members of this particular class, Moshe divulged to us later, come from particularly difficult homes: some need to work a few hours every week in order to help support their families; others live with their grandparents, because they are orphans.  It's a sad story, really, but I have faith in their ability to learn this coming year.

                After class, TZ and I caught the bus back to Ramla.  Perrin and Natalie, two other awesome people who are on our program, were riding the bus, and also on their way back to Ramla. I had a meeting on the Ramla campus to discuss the plans for Hebrew Club, a weekly club for non-Hebrew speakers to practice speaking in Hebrew with native Israelis.  Unfortunately, most of the meeting's content went over my head, on account of it being conducted almost entirely in Hebrew.  Later in the evening, my three housemates and I attended the Underground Club on the campus in Ramla, as did many of the other Oranim participants.  The Underground Club is a weekly club in which Israelis can learn English from native speakers.  I ended up giving my e-mail address to an Israeli man interested in practicing his English writing by exchanging e-mails.  At one point, we played a game in which we answered questions about ourselves asked by others: I was later accused by someone of asking Dolly Dickson questions, i.e. easy questions meant to accentuate the answerers' strong points. 

                On Tuesday, for most of the day, the rest of the Ramla ITF participants and I had a teacher-training program, which was a little bit dull, but definitely had some positive results.  The Internet in my apartment stopped working, but it didn't bother me much; after all, my most important task is word-processing, even though I need to be connected to the Internet in order to upload these posts.  Carmel was doing everything he could to ensure our access to the Internet, way more than I would have asked anyone else to do in his place, but the electronics store had sold him the wrong cable, and there was nothing that he could do.  In the evening, we had our first meeting of Hebrew Club, which was fun; everything said in Hebrew was translated into English for the benefit of most of us slow Hebrew-learners.  Afterwards, my roommate Ben and I had a long conversation about some things that he had been concerned about, and I took a run.

Gamar chatimah tovah, v'tzom kal, l'kulchem!

~JD

No comments:

Post a Comment