Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Ithaca, Newark, Frankfurt



            My first flight of the day was scheduled to leave from Ithaca Airport at 9:29 am on Tuesday.  I said goodbye to my Father at 8:20 am, who had a meeting with some Biology and Society advisees later that morning, and my Mother and I drove to the airport.  My Mother is concerned that I'm going to be too excited and busy in Israel to eat well, and doesn't want me to return home looking thinner than I was when I left.  I'm hoping to see her, as well as the rest of my family, sooner than that, though; my parents, as well as all of my siblings, are planning to visit me during my sojourn in Israel.

            The flight from Ithaca to Newark was unexceptional: I fell asleep for part of it, as I often do on plane flights.  I had about a six-hour wait in Newark airport.  I finally finished reading William James's Varieties of Religious Experience, which I had begun in New York City, reading it on my Kindle during my daily commute to Drisha Institute.  It's a fairly boring book, in fact, and I don't recommend it to anyone; for the life of me, I can't understand how such a banal, dreary work ever made it into our canon of great literature (don't ask me about little Willy's younger brother, either, for that matter).  Luckily, this left me free to continue a book that I have been enjoying, Benny Morris's Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict 1881-2001, which I began reading last week.  Reading this book is part of my attempt to shore up my pitiful knowledge of Israeli history.  Until this summer, I had never read any full-length books on the history of the modern State of Israel, and I never took any classes at Cornell on Israel, or even on the modern Middle East.  When I left to study abroad in France, I went with a very rough sketch of the last few hundred years' worth of French history (thanks largely to Mrs. P-B).  I don't even have a sketch of Israel's history, though: more like a few crayon-strokes on construction paper.  I desperately need to learn more about the various aliyot, the Mandate period, both world wars, the Arab-Israeli wars, Israeli domestic policy, Israel foreign policy, Israeli agriculture and infrastructure, airlifts, Oslo, Camp David, the PLO, Chamas, the IDF, refugees, the Yemenite and Ethiopian communities, the intifadas, the government in Gaza, the religious authorities – there's so much I just don't know.  And this is just a short list of the items of the past century and a half; there's good things to be said to read up back through the Ottoman period, the Crusades, the early Muslim conquests and the Pact of Umar, the Byzantines and the Sassanid Persians, the Romans... I have a lot of learning to do, in other words.

            My Father mentioned to me the other evening that I was very calm for someone about to travel internationally, and leave the country for nearly a year.  I thought about my lack of travel anxiety when I was in Newark.  I have the same feeling that I did when I was abroad last summer; I am leaving Ithaca, but I have a clear goal, which I am excited to pursue.  I have commitments in the U.S., but that's also where all my problems are; when I'm abroad, I'm an ocean away from my biggest problems.  But I'm not running away from them; rather, just as was the case last summer, I'm going to return home more capable than ever of solving my problems, because I'll be a more skilled, more experienced, and (perhaps) more mature person upon my return.  Knowing this, and knowing that I have a fixed mission, has given me significant mental endurance in the past, even when I found myself in upsetting, unhappy situations.

            Yet again, I'm doing something I care about: teaching.  In the past few months, I don't think I've done a good job of emphasizing to those around me just how much I'm looking forward to the day-to-day work that this job entails.  I want to teach.  That bear repeating; I want to teach.  I want to be an educator.  Every time I've been in a teaching role, no matter how formal or informal, I've taken an enormous amount of pleasure in the act of explaining and communicating.  Just a few days ago, I had the opportunity to sit down with my friend Sammy, helping her to study vocabulary for her upcoming GRE.  I was sitting in 104 West!, surrounded by friends with whom I hadn't had a real conversation in months – and I was completely engrossed in the list of words in front of me, and trying to elucidate their meanings, that I spoke to nobody else, and completely forgot about the plate of food that was lying in front of me, despite not having eaten in about 18 hours.  Sammy, I'll admit, will be different from most of my future pupils, who will be neither my friends, nor smart students in Ivy League schools, but nevertheless, I'm looking forward to teaching them. 

            I'm now sitting in Frankfurt airport.  In Ithaca, it's 2:00 am, but here, it's not yet 8:00 am.  The flight from Newark to Frankfurt I spent entirely awake, reading maybe a hundred pages of Benny Morris, as well as watching Iron Man III.  Victor, you were right; it's not that good of a film.  Like Man of Steel (which I reviewed a couple of months ago), it lacks a good beginning-middle-ending arc, but whereas the latest Superman film dwells forever in the beginning, Iron Man III has almost no beginning, and is mostly middle.  The pacing is all wrong, in other words; the film-makers wanted to jump immediately to certain sections, without giving the viewer the opportunity to catch up with the characters' motives.  I still think that the villain's scheme is unbelievably complex, and doesn't really benefit him much, given the amount of risk involved.  The whole setup seems... contrived, and the plot twists failed to draw me in.  Also, it's a revenge story; I think that Hollywood produces altogether too many of those.

            Thank you, Frankfurt Airport, for 30 free minutes of Internet access!

            All right, cool people, you'll hear from me again once I'm in Israel!

~JD

No comments:

Post a Comment