Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Look at Ramleh



            Shortly after I finished the last entry in the Frankfurt airport, I boarded the flight bound for Tel-Aviv.  I was fast asleep before takeoff, and didn't wake up until we began our descent, around five hours later.  By this point, it was just after 3:00 pm local time, or 8:00 am Eastern Standard Time.  I peered out the window, and saw desert beneath me; a completely different landscape and climate than the continental ones I had left far behind.  For the third time, I disembarked, and entered Israel.

            I staggered through customs and baggage claim, and managed to buy a train ticket for Ramleh, for ₪15.  There was a transfer at Tel Aviv, where I needed to wait for nearly an hour before the train for Ramleh arrived.  Although some information was posted and announced in English, there are many data available only in Hebrew; for instance, the intermediate stops on a particular railroad line, prior to its terminal, eponymous line.  I hopped off at Ramle, and from there, needed to make it to the other side of town.  I asked the railroad employee outside of the train station, whose job this seemed to be, to call a cab for me, which he did.  I don't think that he spoke any English, but I managed to make it understood that I needed a taxi to bring me to such-and-such a destination ("ani tzarikh moniyah," or its near equivalent, seemed to get the message across).  Likewise, the cabbie was a sabra who spoke rather quickly, but I knew the address, and could articulate "ani rotzeh linso'a l'" well enough for him to grasp my meaning.  He brought me to the address that I had specified in about 10 minutes' time, driving past the shuk, or market, on the way.  His fee was ₪25, making my trip somewhat more economical than the ₪92 estimated cost for a taxi lift directly from Ben Gurion Airport to Ramleh.

            The address to which the cab brought me was a beautiful house in a district whose architecture reminded me of the old stone-built district in Tzfat.  There were some American-looking student-age people standing outside, who told me that I had made it to the right place.  They were all about to leave together to pick up groceries, but called Carmel, the regional director for Oranim, to tell him that I had arrived, and led me inside the house, where eight or so of them, I think, will together be sharing.  It's a beautifully-furnished building that looks like a highly-fashionable apartment from New York City; no joke.  I saw a well-equipped kitchen, at least two televisions, and even Impressionist-style art on the walls.  I sat and read until Carmel arrived.  When he did, he made it clear that he was glad to see me.  He briefed me a little bit, gave me a couple of maps, and drove me, in his car, to the apartment where I'll be staying, not even 10 minutes' walk away.  I was grateful, because I still had my suitcase with me. 

            The apartment that I'll be sharing with three other men is on the fourth floor of a rather dingy apartment building.  There's an electronic code to open the door, and it's obvious to see the four digits that make it up, because the four buttons lack the layer of grime that coats the rest of the keypad.  I'll be sharing a very small room with one of the two Bens living in the apartment; the other bedroom is occupied by Noach and the other Ben.  The rest of the apartment consists of an entrance room with a television and a couple of couches, a closet-like bathroom, shower, a kitchen without chairs or a table, and a cramped hallway with some torn-up couches.  It's small, but certainly not the most cramped sleeping quarters I've ever inhabited.  I don't plan on spending much time inside after the first day or two.  More importantly, my housemates all seem friendly enough, something that matters to me much more than the physical facilities.  Noach took me on a tour of the neighborhood, showing me the local grocery stores, falafel stand, library, and shuk.  I hope that I'll be able to find everything again in daylight, it being after 9:00 by the time I finished.  I picked up some fruit and milk from the only grocery store still open, and hope to get some more at the shuk in the future.  My Modern Hebrew is almost painfully bad; reading the label on the milk carton, I can read that it's chalav, and see that it's pasteurized, but have no clue what any of the other words on the package indicate, except shamon, which I believe to be a reference to milkfat content.

            I spoke extensively to Noach on our walk, and we compared our backgrounds, educations, interests, etc.  Unlike me, he and the others in the apartment are in a 5-month program that began earlier this summer, and isn't strictly limited to teaching in a school.  Other aspects of his program, such as the inclusion of Ulpan lessons, for instance, are part of both programs.  The Ben who isn't my roommate is from Australia, and, like me, studied history in college.  We had a surprisingly large amount to talk amount, given the fact that I really don't know what I'm talking about, no matter what the period or region, because I have such shallow historical knowledge.  Ben knows a fair amount of theory, something I only really brushed up against at Cornell, where, if you're an undergraduate, it's possible to avoid theory if you choose to (as I did).  I'm hoping to have more conversations with him in the future.

            Ramleh is definitely a poor city.  You can tell; it reminds me of some of the poorer neighborhoods.  The roads are smaller, the buildings are shorter, and there are date palms planted on the traffic islands, but small-city poverty looks remarkably similar around the world.

            Alright, I'm going to want to go to bed soon, but promise to talk more about the city and its inhabitants in the future.  Tomorrow, I have orientation at 9:00 am at the library.  I hope that all goes well.  Regardless, I promise to tell you all about it!

~JD

No comments:

Post a Comment