Friday, May 18, 2012

Music I Think About

Nate Schorr caught me singing to myself the other day, and suggested that I write a follow-up post to my explanation of the books that I think about on a daily basis.  Also, this post can also be construed as part of my "Questions I Tire of Answering" series, as a response to the question "what music do you enjoy listening to."  I realize that I risk criticisms that I have to taste, but if I were worried about criticism, I wouldn't write a blog.

I've recently made it a project of mine to create a one-hour playlist that defines me as a person.  So the following list is the result.  The tracks must be listened to in the specified order.  The playlist is partly autobiographic, partly self-expressive, and partly just the music I enjoy.

1) One Love (Bob Marley and the Wailers)
2) Do It Again (The Kinks)
3) The 59th Street Bridge Song (Simon and Garfunkel)
4) Time of Your Song (Matisyahu)
5) Staring at the Sun (Offspring)
6) Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright)
7) Puff the Magic Dragon [Live] (Peter, Paul, and Mary)
8) I Just Had Sex (Lonely Island)
9) Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
10) Le Temps des Cathédrales (Bruno Pelletier)
11) Living on a Thin Line (The Kinks)
12) How Can I Keep from Singing (Bill Staines)
13)  The Sound of Silence (Simon and Garfunkel)
14) When the Ship Comes In [cover] (Arlo Guthrie)
15) River (Bill Staines)
16) Jerusalem  [No Place to Be version] (Matisyahu)

It's a playlist full of contradictions and juxtapositions.  Kind of like me.  We're both difficult to understand.
If anyone who has a Spotify account wants me to send this list to him or her, please just let me know.
Congratulations to all graduating seniors!
Shabbat Shalom!

~JD


 "Clues suggesting that Quasimodo is based on a historical figure have been uncovered in the memoirs of Henry Sibson, a 19th-century British sculptor who was employed at the cathedral at around the time the book was written and who describes a hunched back stonemason also working there" (Roya Nikkha, “Real-life Quasimodo uncovered in Tate archives.”  The Telegraph, 15 August 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment